Erie Shores was born from GSUSA's Project 13, which was called the Green Umbrella. It's intent was to merge small councils and build greater capacity. After two years of dedicated work, Black River Girl Scout Council and Western Gate Girl Scout Council joined together and formed Girl Scouts of Erie Shores. Tiffin Girl Scout Council was later added to the family in 1968, and by 1979, ground was broken for the Lorain area council headquarters, the Council Service Center on South Broadway Avenue.
Since it's formation, Erie Shores has undergone many changes and some of the most important events have been highlighted below.
First troop formed in Sandusky with a membership of (4) girls.
First troop formed in Fremont, OH.
Bellvue Girl Scout Council formed, but disbanded in 1925. The First troop was formed in Lorain, OH.
Oberlin Girl Scout Council organized (first council chartered in Lorain County).
Elyria Girl Scout Council organized. Lorain Girl Scout Council chartered.
Willard Girl Scout Council was organized. Bellvue became a Local Council and Tiffin Girl Scout Council was chartered.
Elyria Girl Scout Council was chartered.
Black River Girl Scout Council was organized. Chartered in 1954.
Oberlin and Lorain merged into Black River Girl Scout Council.
Western Gate Girl Scout Council was formed. First office of Western Gate in Norwalk.
Purchased Camp Timberlane property. Columbia Township joined Black River Girl Scout Council. Williard and Sandusky Girl Scout Council joined Western Gate Girl Scout Council.
First primitive camp at Camp Timberlane. Sandusky Council merged with Western Gate Council.
First established camp at Camp Timberlane. First handicapped troop organized.
Erie Shores Girl Scout Council chartered-office in Oberlin. Western Gate and Black River merged into Erie Shores Girl Scout Council.
Tiffin Girl Scout Council merged with Erie Shores.
Fire at Maplegrove.
Maplegrove replaced by Green Meadows cabin (named by Troop in Grafton).
Ground breaking for new Council Service Center on South Broadway in March. Open House held in October.
Fire at Camp Timberlane destroyed Pinecrest cabin.
Pinecrest cabin rebuilt and rededicated.
Erie Shores Girl Scout Council changed name to Girl Scouts of Erie Shores Girl Scout Council.
Camp Timberlane was remodeled. Lakeview Cabin becomes new Welcome Center. Replaced Tall Timbers tent unit with year-round structure; remodeled Stocker Lodge; new roads and parking implemented.
Girl Scouts of North East Ohio formed through merger of Erie Shores, Great Trail, Lake to River, Lake Erie and Western Reserve.