Women of Distinction
Now Accepting Nominations for 2015 Women of Distinction and Advancing Women Awards
Women of Distinction Award
Girl Scouts of North East Ohio established the Women of Distinction award to honor women who go above and beyond to make our communities better places to live, work, and raise a family. The 15 women honored are selected for their remarkable achievements as business, community, and civic leaders dedicated to supporting opportunities for women and girls.
In the past, many of the nominees were Girl Scouts as children, volunteers or support the organization because they believe in its mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Affiliation with Girl Scouts is not a requirement. However, being a role model for girls and exemplifying the highest ideals of Girl Scouting as reflected in the Girl Scout Promise and Law is required.
Women of Distinction Award Criteria
- Nominees must be 18 years and older by July 1
- Nominees must reside or work in northeast Ohio
(within the 18 counties GSNEO serves)
- Nominees must meet at least ONE of the following eligibility requirements:
- Strengthened Girl Scouting with her vision, initiative, and leadership
- Distinguished in civic, professional, or academic role
- Courageous leader
- Made significant contributions as a volunteer within her community, region, or on a national level
- Mentored, nurtured, or inspired girls or young women
- Created new opportunities for girls or women
Advancing Women Award
One company or organization will be selected to receive the Advancing Women Award. The company or organization will have demonstrated a proven commitment to promoting the advancement of women in the workplace. Nominees may include: mentoring programs, work/life programs, community engagement, supplier diversity, high percentage of women in management, and affinity groups devoted to women's initiatives.
Companies/organizations headquartered outside of the 18 counties GSNEO serves are permitted to be nominated should the entity have a strong presence in the northeast Ohio region.
Advancing Women Criteria
- Mentoring programs at the company. (Cite examples of Sponsorship vs. Mentoring)
- Work/life programs. What kind of flexibility is extended to women (i.e. day care)
- Community engagement. What women's initiatives does the company support?
- Supplier diversity. Does the company use Women Owned Businesses as vendors?
- Percentage of women in management/percentage of women in total staff
- Affinity Groups. Does the company have groups devoted to women's initiatives?
Young Women of Distinction (3)
The Young Women of Distinction Award is presented to Girl Scout Seniors or Ambassadors who demonstrate high scholastic achievement, creativity, initiative and community outreach, and who embody the council's belief that young women with promise today will become tomorrow's leaders.
Scholarships raised through the Women of Distinction event will provide our future leaders with supplemental funding to pursue a degree in higher education.
In the coming year, we would like to expand the program to offer larger scholarship awards, reach a more diverse population of young women, and highlight the importance and prestige of this accolade. Continued funding of these scholarships, additional corporate sponsors, and increased awareness of the program among deserving young women is needed.
Nominations are judged by an independent panel. Please contact Kim Graves at 330-983-0376 or firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the selection process.