Women of Distinction Award Criteria
Women of Distinction
Now Accepting Nominations for 2015
About the Women of Distinction & Advancing Women Awards
Women of Distinction Award
Girl Scouts of North East Ohio established the Women of Distinction award to honor women who go above and beyond to make our communities better places to live, work, and raise a family.
Scholarships raised at the Women of Distinction celebration will provide our future leaders with supplemental funding to pursue a degree in higher education.
The 15 women honored here are those whose achievements represent the fulfillment of the Girl Scout
Promise and Law. They are selected for their remarkable achievements as business, community, and
civic leaders dedicated to supporting opportunities for women and girls. In the past, many of them were Girl Scouts as children, volunteers, or support the organization because they believe in its mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Affiliation with Girl Scouts is not a requirement. However, being a role model for girls IS required. See below for specific criteria.
Advancing Women Award
One company or organization will be selected to receive this award. The company or organization will have demonstrated a proven commitment to advancing women in the workplace.
Companies/organizations headquartered outside of the 18 counties GSNEO serves are permitted to be nominated should the entity have a strong presence in the northeast Ohio region.
Women of Distinction & Advancing Women awards criteria
- Nominees must be 18 years and older by July 31, 2014
- Nominees must reside or work in northeast Ohio
(within the 18 counties GSNEO serves)
- Nominees must meet at least ONE of the following eligibility requirements:
- Strengthened Girl Scouting with her vision, initiative, and leadership
- Distinguished in civic, professional, or academic role
- Courageous leader
- Made significant contributions as a volunteer within her community, region, or on a national level
- Mentored, nurtured, or inspired girls or young women
- Created new opportunities for girls or women
Advancing Women Award Criteria
- Mentoring programs at the company. (Cite examples of Sponsorship vs. Mentoring)
- Work/life programs. What kind of flexibility is extended to women (i.e. day care)
- Community engagement. What women's initiatives does the company support?
- Supplier diversity. Does the company use Women Owned Businesses as vendors?
- Percentage of women in management/percentage of women in total staff
- Affinity Groups. Does the company have groups devoted to women's initiatives?