side menu icon

Girl Scouts of the Western Reserve

1920's 3

In the beginning from 1918 until 1938 Girl Scouts of the Western Reserve had many titles, from Akron Area Scouts to Summit City Council of the Girl Scouts. By 1962, Medina, Portage, Summit and Northern Wayne Counties consolidated to become Western Reserve Girl Scout Council. You will discover Girl Scout history and the evolution of Girls Scouts of the Western Reserve as it happened in Greater Akron.

In fact, did you know that Franz Schumacher (founder of Quaker Oats Company) in 1840 built the Victorian-style house that was located at 108 Fir Hill. This building was known as the "Cookie House" because it was bought and maintained with cookie sale profits. The street got its name from the fir trees. The property later became a part of the University of Akron.

1918-1919

Akron Area Girl Scout organization was formed and Troops #1-#6 were organized.

1920-1921

The Akron Area Girl Scout council's first headquarters was located in the Metropolitan Building in downtown Akron.

1921-1922

Council chartered as Summit County Council of the Girl Scouts, and Girl Scouts camped at Akron Mayor's, F.S. Myers, Rex Lake.

1921-1926

Moved to new and larger headquarters located at 114 E. Market Street (C.W. Seiberling home).

1923

Camped at Comet Dam, when it flooded, the girls helped collect farm animals. First known Girl Scout troops in Barberton.

1924

Camp was held at Camp Chanote until Mrs. Laursen presented the Girl Scouts permanent use of the Laursen Estate as Day Camp in 1932.

1925

Cookies baked by girls and sold for $.25 per dozen.

1926-1927

The Guth Building caught fire. Headquarters temporarily moved to Yager's Department Store.

1928

Council renamed to Akron Area Council Girl Scouts, and five day camps were started which included Perkins Park, Gorge, and Forest Lodge.

1930

The Bankers Building, 191 S. Main St., became the headquarters. Akron's first 7750 dozen cookies sales netted $480.

1932

Camp Ledgewood opened, campers were given blimp rides by Goodyear, and girls attended Day Camp.

1939

Troops #7- #10 were started at Grant, Lincoln and Broad Schools.

1943-1975

"Cookie House" (the house bought with cookie money) 108 Fir Hill became the new headquarters.

1949

Jessie Mae Fageol Campground was presented to the Ravenna Girl Scout Association.

1962

Western Reserve Council is formed to combine Summit, Portage, Medina and Northern Wayne Counties.

1971

Senior Girl Scouts held an all night Cookie "Bake-in" at Low Lodge. Cookies were mailed to solders in Vietnam.

1980

Girl Scout Gold Award established as highest award. First Gold Award in WRGSC earned by girls.

1981

Camp Ledgewood celebrates its 50th anniversary with a party at camp. Cadettes and Seniors buried a time capsule to be opened in 2031 at the foot of Camp Ledgewood's main flag pole during the Cadette/Senior Roundup.

1994

345 White Pond Drive becomes the Headquarters.

2000

Name changed to Girl Scouts of the Western Reserve, Inc.

2002

Western Reserve Council 40th Anniversary. Ledgewood 70th Anniversary Open House Celebration: May-Peace Pole dedication. 72 girls received their Silver Award.

2007

Girl Scouts of North East Ohio formed through merger of Erie Shores, Great Trail, Lake to River, Lake Erie and Western Reserve.