In the beginning from 1918 until 1938 Girl Scouts of the Western Reserve had many titles, from Akron Area Scouts to Summit City Council of the Girl Scouts. By 1962, Medina, Portage, Summit and Northern Wayne Counties consolidated to become Western Reserve Girl Scout Council. You will discover Girl Scout history and the evolution of Girls Scouts of the Western Reserve as it happened in Greater Akron.
In fact, did you know that Franz Schumacher (founder of Quaker Oats Company) in 1840 built the Victorian-style house that was located at 108 Fir Hill. This building was known as the "Cookie House" because it was bought and maintained with cookie sale profits. The street got its name from the fir trees. The property later became a part of the University of Akron.
Akron Area Girl Scout organization was formed and Troops #1-#6 were organized.
The Akron Area Girl Scout council's first headquarters was located in the Metropolitan Building in downtown Akron.
Council chartered as Summit County Council of the Girl Scouts, and Girl Scouts camped at Akron Mayor's, F.S. Myers, Rex Lake.
Moved to new and larger headquarters located at 114 E. Market Street (C.W. Seiberling home).
Camped at Comet Dam, when it flooded, the girls helped collect farm animals. First known Girl Scout troops in Barberton.
Camp was held at Camp Chanote until Mrs. Laursen presented the Girl Scouts permanent use of the Laursen Estate as Day Camp in 1932.
Cookies baked by girls and sold for $.25 per dozen.
The Guth Building caught fire. Headquarters temporarily moved to Yager's Department Store.
Council renamed to Akron Area Council Girl Scouts, and five day camps were started which included Perkins Park, Gorge, and Forest Lodge.
The Bankers Building, 191 S. Main St., became the headquarters. Akron's first 7750 dozen cookies sales netted $480.
Camp Ledgewood opened, campers were given blimp rides by Goodyear, and girls attended Day Camp.
Troops #7- #10 were started at Grant, Lincoln and Broad Schools.
"Cookie House" (the house bought with cookie money) 108 Fir Hill became the new headquarters.
Jessie Mae Fageol Campground was presented to the Ravenna Girl Scout Association.
Western Reserve Council is formed to combine Summit, Portage, Medina and Northern Wayne Counties.
Senior Girl Scouts held an all night Cookie "Bake-in" at Low Lodge. Cookies were mailed to solders in Vietnam.
Girl Scout Gold Award established as highest award. First Gold Award in WRGSC earned by girls.
Camp Ledgewood celebrates its 50th anniversary with a party at camp. Cadettes and Seniors buried a time capsule to be opened in 2031 at the foot of Camp Ledgewood's main flag pole during the Cadette/Senior Roundup.
345 White Pond Drive becomes the Headquarters.
Name changed to Girl Scouts of the Western Reserve, Inc.
Western Reserve Council 40th Anniversary. Ledgewood 70th Anniversary Open House Celebration: May-Peace Pole dedication. 72 girls received their Silver Award.
Girl Scouts of North East Ohio formed through merger of Erie Shores, Great Trail, Lake to River, Lake Erie and Western Reserve.