The National Council of Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) comes together in session every three years and consists of delegates elected by Girl Scout councils, delegates representing lone troops outside the United States (USA Girl Scouts Overseas), members of the National Board of Directors and the National Nominating Committee, past presidents of GSUSA and other persons who may be elected by the National Council. Delegates serve a three-year term and must be registered members of GSUSA and 14 years old or older.
Apply to Become a Delegate
The National Council is responsible for giving broad policy direction to the future of the Girl Scout movement in the United States. Members of the National Council elect the National Board of Directors and the National Nominating Committee for the upcoming triennium act on proposals directed toward the fostering and improvement of Girl Scouting and receive a report from the National Board of Directors on its stewardship of the movement in the past three years.
An adjusted formula based on membership numbers as of September 30, 2019 will be used to determine the number of Girl Scouts of North East Ohio delegates. It is anticipated that the council will be eligible to elect approximately 18 delegates to the 2020 session.
Make a Difference in Girl Scouting
National Council members assume one of the most significant responsibilities in Girl Scouting. Through discussion and careful deliberation of issues that will impact the Girl Scout movement, they reaffirm the strong partnership between Girl Scout councils and the national organization, and their commitment to girls and to the future growth of Girl Scouting.
They are accountable for:
- Carefully preparing for participation in the democratic process in action at the National Council Session
- Opening their minds to the opinions and situations of others during the meetings in order to better understand the diversity of perspectives and their impact on Girl Scouts; and for
- Voting as conscience guides, keeping foremost in mind the well-being and future development of the entire Girl Scout movement, and not of any one particular council or grouping of councils.
Logistics for National Convention
Costs for elected National Delegates attending the GSUSA National Convention will be paid for by Girl Scouts of North East Ohio and will include the following:
- Registration fees
- Transportation for the Convention
- Hotel accommodations during the Convention
- Meals during the Convention